MU-404 MECHANICAL VIBRATIONS
B. Tech. VIII Semester
|No. of Credits: 4||Sessional: 40 Marks|
|L T P Total||Theory : 60 Marks|
|4 0 0 4||Total : 100 Marks|
|Duration of Exam: 3 Hours|
UNIT 1. Introduction: Harmonic motion, periodic motion, vibration terminology.
UNIT 2. Single Degree of freedom Systems: Free and forced vibrations with and without damping, magnification factor, transmissibility and isolation.
UNIT 3. Two degree of Freedom Systems: Generalized co-ordinates, principal co-ordinates, derivation of equation of motion, co-ordinate coupling, Lagrange’s equation.
UNIT 4. Vibration Absorber: Tuned absorber, determination of mass ratio, tuned and damped absorber (qualitative treatment only), untuned viscous damper.
UNIT 5. Multi Degree of Freedom system: Derivation of equation, calculation of natural frequencies by Rayleigh, Stodala, matrix, matrix iteration and Holzer methods.
UNIT 6. Vibration Analysis: Introduction, Influence coefficient, Stiffness Matrix, Flexibility Matrix, Natural Frequencies and Normal Modes.
UNIT 7. Transient Vibrations: Impulse Excitation, Arbitrary Excitation, Response to step Excitation, Base Excitation Solution by Laplace Transforms, Response Spectrum, Runge- kutta Method.
1. Mechanical Vibration – V.P.Singh, Dhanpat Rai & Sons.
2. Mechanical Vibration : G.K.Grover – Nem Chand & Bros., Roorkee, INDIA
1. Thomson, W.T, “Theory of Vibration with Applications”, CBS Pub. & Distributors, 3rd Ed, 1988.
2. Tse, Morse and Hinkle, “ Mechanical Vibration”, prentice Hall of India Ltd, 1987
3. Schaum Outline Series, “Mechanical Vibration”, Mc Graw Hill Book Company, 1990.
4. Lindley and Higgins, “Maintenance Engineering Hand Book” McGraw Hill Book Company, 1977.